Fairfield Community Primary School is a welcoming and inclusive mainstream setting. We provide a broad and balanced curriculum for all of our pupils, including those with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND), and ensure full curriculum entitlement and access. Our aims for children with SEND are the same as for all of our pupils but we understand that some children need adjustments and individualisation of the curriculum in order to help them meet these. We are committed to supporting the children and their families through the SEND journey and welcome parents to regular update meetings and to participate in open mornings.
At Fairfield Community Primary School, we focus on inclusive practice and removing barriers to learning. More information can be found in our SEND Policy and SEND Information Report which are both updated annually. These documents tell parents and other stakeholders all about our provision for children with SEND, including our three-staged process for identification, assessment and provision, in accordance with the 2014 Code of Practice. We also have an Accessibility Policy which outlines how we adapt our learning environment, provision and curriculum to meet individual needs of all learners. Symphony Learning Trust have also developed a Universal Offer detailing the provision and arrangements at all of the trust schools. On a wider scale, Leicestershire County Council also issue a Local Offer and have a short, subtitled film about the local offer. Leicestershire County Council have also launched a SEND Provision in Leicestershire Directory which parents can use to inform decisions about the right setting and provision for their child.
In addition, we have developed a SEND Padlet to support families in accessing resources online and from external agencies, dependent on the area of need for the child.
Our Special Educational Needs and Disability Co-ordinator is Mrs Goodger. If you have any concerns, questions or need any advice linked to SEND, please contact her via the school office on 0116 278 2424 or via email at email@example.com. Please note that Mrs Goodger works on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Fairfield strives to be an inclusive school engendering a sense of community and belonging through its:
- inclusive ethos
- broad and balanced curriculum for all pupils
- systems for early identification of barriers to learning and participation
- high expectations and suitable targets for all children
- policy for identification and assessment
The SENCo is the professional leader in the area of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities and as such is responsible for:
- the day to day operation of the school’s Special Educational Needs Policy.
- assisting staff in the identification and assessment of pupils with SEND.
- advising on classroom and other appropriate strategies.
- liaising with parents, support staff and other external agencies.
- maintaining the school’s SEND files and record.
- informing and advising the governors.
- continuing their professional development in SEND.
- contributing to staff training.
- managing the budget for SEND in conjunction with the Head teacher.
Teachers are responsible for all children in their class. All staff are made aware of their responsibilities towards pupils with SEND and clear communication lines between teachers, support staff and specialist staff are established. A programme of staff development, to be included in the school development plan, is implemented for both support staff and class teachers.